Error code 0x80004005
What is Error code 0x80004005?
Error code 0x80004005 is an error that usually occurs when a file that the Windows Product Activation (WPA) requires is damaged or missing.
How can you fix Error code 0x80004005?
Some of the solutions to this error include activating Windows 10, activating Windows via internet or phone, fixing 0x80004005 in the shared folder, enabling Secure Virtual Machine mode, fixing 0x80004005 in Microsoft Outlook, and fixing 0x80004005 in Windows Update.
Please see our in-depth walk-through solutions below.
Solution 1. Activate Windows 10
1. Click “Start => Settings => Update & security => Activation”
2. Click “Change the product key” then, Enter the Windows 10 Default Product Key by referring to the list below.
NOTE: make sure that you use the right product key for your Windows edition or it won’t work.
Enter the Windows 10 Default Product Key.
Win 10 Home: YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
Win 10 Pro: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Win 10 Home N: 4CPRK-NM3K3-X6XXQ-RXX86-WXCHW
Win 10 Home Single Language: BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
Win 10 Home Country Specific: 7B6NC-V3438-TRQG7-8TCCX-H6DDY
Win 10 Professional N: 2B87N-8KFHP-DKV6R-Y2C8J-PKCKT
3. Wait for the notification message that says, “We couldn’t activate Windows.” Click “close.”
4. Click “Change the product key,” then enter your Windows 10 genuine product key. Wait for it to activate.
Solution 2. Activate Windows via Internet or phone
Activate Windows Via Internet
- Click Windows Start and then type in slui 3.
- Then input your activation key.
- If that doesn’t work, it is recommended that you contact Microsoft Support center and explain to them your problem in detail.
Activate Windows Via Phone
- Click Windows Start and then type in slui 4 or right-click Windows start, then click “Run” and type in “Slui 4.
- When a window appears, select your country and click “Next.”
NOTE: Don’t close the window yet.
- Call the toll-free number while in front of your computer.
- A confirmation ID will be given to you by the automated phone system.
- Type in the Confirmation ID into the box and click activate.
Solution 3. Fix 0x80004005 in the shared folder
- Click Windows Start, type in regedit and press Enter.
- In the registry window go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\System.
- In the System folder, create a key, name it LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy. Follow the image above,
- Double click LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy set the value to numeric 1 and hit OK.
- If your PC is running Windows 32 bit version use DWORD.
- If your PC is running Windows 64 bit version use QWORD.
- Reset your computer and then try to access the shared folder.
Solution 5. Fix 0x80004005 in Microsoft Outlook
Disable anti-virus or disable only anti-virus blocking feature.
Solution 6. Fix 0x80004005 in Windows Update
Make sure your account has an administrative privilege to access files, download and install software. To log on as an Administrator follow the instructions below.
- Click Start and then type in CMD.
- Right click CMD and select run as admin.
- In the Command Prompt type in net user administrator /active:yes and the hit enter.
- Click Start, then click the power button and select sign-out.
- Then log in as an Administrator.
Delete SoftwareDistribution and run DISM command with sfc /scannow command
For Windows update with error code 0x80004005 follow the instruction below.
- Windows Start. Type “services “in the search bar and press enter. A services window will pop up.
- Look for “Windows Update” service. Right click it and select stop. (Don’t close the window yet.)
- Browse to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\download.
- Crt + A to highlight all files. Press right click on the highlighted files. The select delete. Wait until all files are deleted.
- Return to the services window. Look for “Windows Update” service. Right-click it, select start and then restart your computer.
Run DISM command with sfc /scannow command
- Click Windows Start, type in Command prompt.
- Right click and run as Admin.
- Type in or copy and paste this command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth to the Command Prompt.
- Wait until the process is complete.
- Type in or copy and paste this command sfc /scannow to the Command Prompt.
- Wait until the process is complete, and then Run Windows Update.