The 0x204 error code indicates that a problem exists with the hardware or drivers associated with the computer's video display. This can be caused by outdated or corrupted drivers, or by hardware that is not compatible with the current video settings. In some cases, the 0x204 error can also be caused by a problem with the computer's power supply.
Users typically search for a solution by asking about:
- error code 0x204 remote desktop
- error code 0x204
- rdp error code 0x204
1. Restart your computer
- Press the "F8" key repeatedly during the startup process to open the boot menu
- Select "Reboot" from the boot menu
- Press the "R" key to restart your computer
- If the error code 0x204 still occurs, please consult the Microsoft support website.
2. Update your drivers
- Go to Device Manager and expand the Display Adapters section.
- Right-click on the adapter that is giving you the error and select Update Driver.
- In the list of drivers that is displayed, select the appropriate driver from the list and click on the OK button.
- Restart your computer.
3. Reinstall your drivers
- Go to the device manager and right click on the device that is causing the error code.
- Choose the "Update Driver" option.
- Browse to the folder where the drivers for the device are stored and select the appropriate driver.
- Click on the "Install" button.
- If prompted, choose the "Search for updates" option.
- Once the driver has been installed, click on the "OK" button.
4. Update your BIOS
- Power off your PC and disconnect all peripherals.
- Locate the BIOS Update Utility on your hard drive.
- Double-click on the BIOS Update Utility to launch it.
- Click on the “Update” button to begin the update process.
- Once the update is complete, restart your PC and test the installation.
- If the installation was successful, restart your PC once more to apply the changes.
5. Reset your BIOS
1.Press and hold the Delete key during startup 2.When the BIOS menu loads, highlight the option for "Reset and Save" and hit Enter 3.Select the option to "Reset and Restore Default Settings" and hit Enter 4.Select the option to "Reset and Save Changes" and hit Enter 5.Select the option to "Finish" and hit Enter
6. Check for hardware issues
The steps to check for hardware issues in order to fix error code 0x204 are as follows:
- Check for and remove any obstructions that may be preventing the computer from properly identifying and detecting the hardware issues.
- Verify the hardware components and connections for any issues.
- Perform a system scan to identify any hardware issues.
- If necessary, replace any hardware components that are found to be defective.
If the answers above didn't work then you should also try:
- Run a virus scan
- Run a malware scan
- Run a system file check
- Run a disk check