This error code means that the Windows Update service is not running. The Windows Update service is responsible for downloading and installing updates for Windows. If this service is not running, you will not be able to install updates. There are a few reasons why this service may not be running. One reason is that the service may have been disabled. Another reason is that the service may be set to manual instead of automatic. This means that the service will not start automatically when you restart your computer. You will need to start the service manually in order for it to install updates. Finally, this error can also occur if the Windows Update service is not registered properly.
1. Restart your computer and try again
- If your computer is powered off, turn it on.
- If your computer is powered off, press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds to turn it off.
- When your computer turns on, release the power button.
- Press and hold the Windows key and the R key at the same time.
- When the Rescue console window opens, type "restart" and press Enter.
- When the computer restarts, try to open the Windows Update service.
- If the problem is still not resolved, try to start the computer in Safe Mode.
2. Check for updates again
- From the Start screen, open Settings.
- In the Settings app, go to System and check for updates.
- If there are any updates available, you will be prompted to install them.
- If there are no updates available, you will be prompted to restart your device to apply the updates.
3. Try a different internet connection
- Go to Settings > Network and select the connection you want to try.
- If the error persists, try resetting your network connection by pressing and holding the power button for about 10 seconds until your device powers off.
- If that doesn't work, try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network.
4. Temporarily disable your antivirus software and try again
- Open the "Start" menu and select "Control Panel".
- Click on "Security Center" in the Control Panel.
- In the Security Center window, click on the "Antivirus" tab.
- In the "Antivirus" tab, click on the "Disable" button.
- If you are asked to restart your computer, click on the "Yes" button.
- After your computer has restarted, try to install the software again. If the error code 0x80240009 still appears, please contact your antivirus software vendor for assistance.
5. Clear the Windows Update cache and try again
- Locate the Windows Update folder on your hard drive.
- Right-click on the Windows Update folder and select "Properties".
- Click on the "History" tab.
- Locate the last update that was installed on your computer and click on it.
- Click on the "Remove" button.
- Click on the "Yes" button when prompted to confirm the deletion.
- Restart your computer.
- Try to install the latest Windows Update again. If the error persists, you may need to contact your computer manufacturer for assistance.
If you didn't find success with an option above, then try:
- Reset the Windows Update Components and try again.
- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and try again.
- Contact Microsoft Support.