The HP Envy 5540 error code is a printer error that can occur for a number of reasons. The most common reason for this error is that the printer is not properly connected to the computer. Another possible reason for this error is that the printer is not turned on.
1. Restart the printer
- Unplug the power cord from the printer.
- Remove the print cartridges.
- Hold down the power button for at least 10 seconds.
- Reinsert the power cord and plug it in to the back of the printer.
- Press the OK button on the printer.
- Press the Menu button.
- Press the Down arrow button.
- Press the OK button to highlight the Reset button.
- Press the Reset button.
- Press the OK button to exit the Menu.
- Press the Back arrow button to return to the main screen.
- Press the OK button to restart the printer.
2. Check for any loose connections and make sure they are secure
- Check for any loose connections by pressing the power button and the on/off button at the same time. If the HP envy 5540 powers on, there are likely no loose connections. If the HP envy 5540 does not power on, check for loose connections by pressing each button in turn and looking for any signs of movement or sound.
- Secure any loose connections by re-connecting the power cord, the USB cable, and the network cable.
- If the HP envy 5540 still fails to power on, replace the battery.
3. Check for any paper jams and clear them if present
To check for any paper jams, start by trying to print a document from the HP Envy 5540 printer. If the document prints correctly, but the printer prints a message saying that there is a paper jam, clear the paper jam. If the document prints correctly but the printer prints an error message about a paper jam, inspect the paper path for any obstruction and Clear the paper jam if present.
4. Run the printer's self-diagnostic test and follow the instructions provided
- On the computer, open the HP Envy 5540 software.
- Click the tools icon and select self-diagnostic.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to run the test.
- If the printer is found to be in error, follow the instructions provided to fix the error.
5. Clean the printhead
- Remove the printhead from the printer.
- Remove any obstructions from the printhead opening.
- Remove any adhesives and tape from the printhead.
- Clean the printhead using a vacuum cleaner and a cleaning brush.
- Reinstall the printhead into the printer.
- Test the printer.
Still not working? maybe try one of these options:
- Update the printer's firmware.
- Contact HP customer support for further assistance.