Safari can’t establish a secure connection
What is error message ‘Can’t establish a secure connection’ on Safari?
Can’t establish a secure connection is an error that usually occurs when using the web browser, Safari. It may mean that the webpage is on a server that does not meet secure cryptographic standards. When the error occurs, the website you are trying to open may be using a weak encryption or Safari cannot connect to its server.
How can you fix ‘Can’t establish a secure connection’ on Safari?
Some of the common fixes include:
- Using a DNS address
- Disabling third-party software
- Turning off IPv6
Please see our in-depth walk-through solutions below.
Solution 1. Use a DNS address
“Safari can’t establish a secure connection” may due to the obtained DNS server, or your connection is checked by a firewall. Try to configure your DNS using Google public DNS, see if it fixes the problem. If it does, you might under a firewall or you have obtained a bad DNS address.
- Go to the Apple menu and select “System Preferences.”
Select the “Network” control panel.
- On the left side, select the network interface that you are using.
- Click “Advanced.”
- Click “DNS” tab.
- Click + button to add a new DNS address.
- Add 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199.
- When finished, click Ok.
- Then, click Apply.
Solution 2. Disable third-party software
“Safari can’t establish a secure connection” may also be due to third-party software, this includes anti-virus. Due to the anti-virus web protection protocol, it may prevent your access to a specific site. Try to disable all third-party software that runs in the background to rule out other interference.
Running your operating system in clean boot may disable all third-party software that runs on startup.
- Restart the computer.
- If you have a login window, hold Shift key before pressing the login button. Release when you’re on the Desktop.
- If you do not use a login window, hold Shift when the progress bar start. Release when you’re on the Desktop.
- Try surfing the inter using Safari.
Solution 3. Turn off IPv6
The IPv6 might be causing conflict with your IPv4, resulting in “Safari can’t establish a secure connection.” Try to disable IPv6 to solve the problem. See the steps below.