The driver is trying to start is not the same as the driver for the posted display adapter. This error code happens because the driver is not compatible with the display adapter.
Users typically search for a solution by asking about:
- graphics device driver error code 31
- the driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the posted display adapter.
1. Download and install the correct driver for the display adapter
- Open the Device Manager by pressing "Windows key + X" and selecting "Device Manager".
- In the Device Manager, find the "Display adapters" category and double-click it to open it.
- Right-click on the device that you are trying to fix and select "Update Driver" from the menu.
- In the "Driver File" window that opens, select the correct driver from the list of drivers and click on "Next".
- If the driver that you are trying to download is for a different type of display adapter, you will need to specify this information in the "Update Driver" window. Click on "Browse" and select the correct driver file.
- Finally, click on "Install".
- After the driver has been installed, restart your computer.
2. If the correct driver is already installed, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the driver
First, try uninstalling the driver. If the driver is not the incorrect driver, it may be that the driver was not installed correctly the first time or the computer may need to be restarted. If the driver is not the incorrect driver, the next step is to reinstall the driver.
3. Try rolling back the driver to a previous version
- Right click the device that is having the issue and select "Driver Rollback".
- In the Driver Rollback window, select "Driver File Version" and then select the version that you want to roll back to.
- Click "Rollback".
- If the driver is not installed on your computer, the software will prompt you to install it. Once the driver is installed, click "Finish".
4. Try updating the driver to the latest version
- Under Display adapters, right-click the driver for the display adapter you are trying to update and select Update Driver.
- If prompted by the software to select a location to search for updated driver files, click Browse and then click on the appropriate drive.
- Once the driver files have been located, click Open.
- If the driver is already up to date, the update process will start and will finish without further interaction. If the update fails, please follow the steps below.
- If the driver is not up to date, Windows will search for and find the latest driver for the display adapter. Once the driver has been located, it will be installed and updated. Please follow the steps below to complete the update process.
- After the update has been completed, please restart your computer.
Still not working? maybe try one of these options:
- Try using a different driver altogether.
- If none of the above work, the issue may be with the display adapter itself and it may need to be replaced.