Dell diagnostics PSA error code 2000-0142
Error code 2000-0142 is a specific error code that occurs only on Dell computers. Dell’s pre-startup assessment (PSA) tool will likely diagnose an error once startup fails. The error code indicates hard drive failure.
The error may be related to corrupted memory, CPU failure, or an inability of your hard drive to pass a self-test. It could also be the HDD itself, HDD cable, or connector on the motherboard.
Solution 1. Warranty the Dell computer
“Error code 2000-0142” may due to a failing hard disk drive or related components such as hard disk drive cable and SATA port. If your computer is still under warranty Dell will automatically accept your system for repair or replace. If out of warranty see below solution below.
Solution 2. Test Hard disk drive and related components
“Error code 2000-0142” may due to a failing hard disk drive or related components such as hard disk drive cable and SATA port. If your Dell computer is out of warranty, try reconnecting the hard disk drive. Then do a hard disk diagnostic test again. If the error still appears, use a different SATA cable and SATA port. If the error still exists, your hard disk drive might be faulty.
If you have a Dell laptop remove the hard disk drive and test it again on a Desktop computer.
- Connect the hard disk drive to a desktop computer.
- Download a software that tests a hard disk such as sentinel and HDtune.
- If no error found it could be the SATA port of the laptop. You may need to send your laptop to a Dell service center for repair.
If an error was found, replace the hard disk drive.
The hard disk drive can be easily bought from a computer shop. To make sure that you would but a compatible hard disk drive, use the defective hard disk drive as a sample. Or bring your computer to the computer shop to make sure compatibility.
Now the next process is to install your operating system. See solution below on how to install a Windows.
Solution 3. Guide to install Window
As solution 2 advise, this solution will guide you on how to install a Windows if you have found your hard disk drive defective.
- Insert the Windows installation DVD or USB.
- A message will appear “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD…”, press any key to boot from the Window installation CD/DVD or USB.
- A Windows will appear, select your language, time and keyboard, and click Next.
- Click Install Now
- Click I accept the terms of the license, and then click Next.
- Click Custom (Advanced).
- Select the partition, and click Delete. NOTE: Delete all partitions.
- Select the Unallocated space and click Next. NOTE: If you want to define the size, click new, set the size and then click Apply.
- Click ok to confirm.
- Wait until the installation process is finished.