Overcrank is when the engine speed exceeds the maximum RPM rating. This can happen when the throttle is stuck open, the governor is not functioning properly, or there is something mechanically wrong with the engine. If the engine is overcranked, it can cause damage to the pistons, rods, and bearings. The error code happens because the engine is not getting enough oil pressure.
You are here because you have a question about:
- generac generator error code 1100
- generac overcrank
1. Check the oil level and fill if needed
- Start the engine and check the oil level. If needed, add oil.
- Shut off the engine.
- Remove the cover on the oil filter.
- Remove the oil filter bowl.
- Check the level of oil in the filter bowl and add oil if needed.
- Replace the oil filter bowl and cover.
- Reinstall the engine cover.
2. Check the air filter and clean or replace if needed
There are a few steps involved in checking and cleaning an air filter or replacing it on a Generac power generator. First, turn the power off to the generator and unplug it. Next, open the access panel on the side of the machine and remove the air filter. If the filter is dirty, you will need to replace it. To clean the filter, use a vacuum cleaner and a bucket. Make sure to wear gloves to protect your hands. Finally, replace the air filter and screw the access panel back on.
3. Check for loose connections and tighten as needed
- Verify the engine is turning over by hand. If the engine is not turning over, it may be necessary to remove the crankshaft and check the connections.
- Verify the engine is receiving power by checking the voltage at the battery.
- Check the wires for continuity by touching each wire to each other and to the engine block.
- If the connections are loose, tighten them using a wrench. If the connections are tight, it may be necessary to use a crimping tool to make the connections.
Some users might also have success with the following opitons:
- Check for debris or obstructions around the engine and remove as needed.
- Check the spark plugs and replace if needed.
- Check the fuel level and fill if needed.
- If the engine is still overcranking, contact a certified Generac technician for further diagnosis and repair.