QuickBooks Error -6190 happens when QuickBooks is trying to access a company file and the file is already open in another program or window. QuickBooks needs to have exclusive access to the company file in order to open it, so if the file is open in another program, QuickBooks will display this error. There are a few possible reasons why the company file might be open in another program:
-Someone else is logged into the company file using a different user ID
-The file is open on another computer on the network
-The file is open in QuickBooks on another window or tab
If you're seeing this error, you'll need to close the company file on any other computers or programs where it's open. Once the file is closed everywhere else, you should be able to open it in QuickBooks without getting the error.
People like you are also looking for:
- quickbooks error code -6000, -832
- quickbooks error -6190
1. Restart your computer and run QuickBooks again
- Restart your computer.
- Open QuickBooks again.
- If the error persists, try running QuickBooks in Compatibility Mode.
- If the error still persists, try running QuickBooks as an administrator.
- If the error still persists, try reinstalling QuickBooks.
2. Update QuickBooks to the latest release
- Update QuickBooks to the latest release: a. From the QuickBooks Help menu, choose Update QuickBooks. b. In the Update QuickBooks dialog box, select the options to download the latest release and install it. c. Click Update Now. d. When the update is finished, restart QuickBooks.
- Verify that your QuickBooks company file is not damaged: a. From the QuickBooks File menu, choose Utilities. b. If the QuickBooks File Doctor is not installed, choose Install the QuickBooks File Doctor. c. In the QuickBooks File Doctor dialog box, select your company file and click Run. d. When the scan is finished, click View Results. e. If the file is not damaged, you should see a message that says the file is OK. f. If the file is damaged, you will need to restore a backup of your company file.
3. Run the QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is a tool designed to diagnose and repair common errors in QuickBooks. To run QuickBooks File Doctor:
- Download and install QuickBooks File Doctor from the QuickBooks support website.
- Run QuickBooks File Doctor and select the company file you want to repair.
- Follow the prompts to complete the repair process.
4. Perform a clean install of QuickBooks
- Delete the QuickBooks installation folder
- Delete all QuickBooks related files and folders from your computer
- Download QuickBooks from the official website
- Install QuickBooks on your computer
- Register QuickBooks
- Run QuickBooks as an administrator
- Update QuickBooks to the latest version
5. Restore a backup of your QuickBooks company file
There are a few different ways that you can restore a backup of your QuickBooks company file:
- If you have a recent backup of your company file, you can restore it by going to the File menu and selecting Open or Restore Company. From there, select Restore a backup copy and follow the prompts.
- If you have an older backup of your company file, you can restore it by going to the File menu and selecting Utilities. From there, select Restore Company and follow the prompts.
- If you have a portable backup of your company file, you can restore it by going to the File menu and selecting Open or Restore Company. From there, select Restore a portable backup and follow the prompts.
6. Contact QuickBooks support for further assistance
There are a few different ways to contact QuickBooks support for further assistance in order to fix QuickBooks error -6190:
- Visit the QuickBooks support website and search for the error code -6190. This will bring up a list of support articles and videos that may be helpful in resolving the error.
- Call QuickBooks support at 1-800- 4Intuit and speak to a customer service representative.
- Send an email to QuickBooks support at email@example.com.
- Live chat with QuickBooks support through the QuickBooks website.