Windows Defender Error 0x80073afc is usually caused by a corrupted file or folder in the Windows Defender program. This can happen if the program is not properly installed, or if a virus or other malicious software has corrupted the program.
Other common searches for this error include:
- error code 0x80073afc
- windows error code 0x80073afc
- window defender error code 0x80073afc
- windows defender error code 0x80073afc windows 10
- windows defender error 0x80073afc
1. Try restarting your computer and then opening Windows Defender
- Restart your computer.
- After your computer restarts, open the task manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL.
- In the task manager, click on the process with the error message.
- On the properties of the process, click on the end task button.
- In the end task window, select the restart button.
- After your computer restarts, open Windows Defender.
2. Check for updates to Windows Defender
- Open the Control Panel by clicking on Start, Control Panel and then clicking on Windows Defender.
- On the Windows Defender window, click on the Update tab.
- On the Update tab, select Check for updates and then click on the Check for updates button.
- If available, Windows Defender will start to search for updates and then will display a list of available updates.
- Click on the update that you want to install and then click on the Install button.
- After the update has been installed, Windows Defender will restart.
3. Try running a full scan with Windows Defender
- Open the Start menu and click on the Windows Defender icon.
- Click on the "Scan Now" button.
- If the "Scan Now" button is not available, you can access it by clicking on the "Scan" tab on the main window.
- Click on the "Advanced" button.
- Under "Scan Type," select "Full Scan."
- Click on the "Start Scan" button.
- If the "Start Scan" button is not available, you can access it by clicking on the "Advanced" button and then on the "Start Scan" button.
- Windows Defender will start scanning your computer for viruses and other malware.
- When the scan is complete, Windows Defender will display a progress bar and will give you the option to save the scan results.
- Click on the "Save" button.
- Windows Defender will save the scan results to a file on your computer.
If the answers above didn't work then you should also try:
- Temporarily disable any other security software you have running on your computer and then try opening Windows Defender again.
- Uninstall any other security software you have running on your computer.
- Perform a clean boot of your computer and then try opening Windows Defender again.
- Reinstall Windows Defender.