Windows error code 0x80004005
Solution 1. Log on as an Administrator
Make sure your account has an administrative privilege to access files, download and install software. To log on as an Administrator follow the instructions below.
Solution 2. Delete SoftwareDistribution and run DISM command with sfc /scannow command
For Windows update with error code 0x80004005 follow the intruction below.
- Windows Start. Type “services “in the search bar and press enter. A services window will pop up.
- Look for “Windows Update” service. Right click it and select stop. (Don’t close the window yet)
- Browse to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\download
- Crt + A to highlight all files. Press right click on the highlighted files. The select delete. Wait until all files are deleted.
- Return to the services window. Look for “Windows Update” service. Right click it, select start then restart your computer.
Run DISM command with sfc /scannow command
- Click Windows Start, type in Command prompt.
- Right click and run as Admin.
- Type in or copy and paste this command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth to the Command Prompt.
- Wait until the process is complete.
- Type in or copy and paste this command sfc /scannow to the Command Prompt.
- Wait until the process is complete, and then Run Windows update.
Solution 3. Fix 0x80004005 in shared folder
- Click Windows Start, type in regedit and press Enter.
- In the registry window go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\System.
- In the System folder, create a key, name it LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy. Follow the image above.
- Double click LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy set the value to numeric 1 and hit OK.
- If your PC is running Windows 32 bit version, use DWORD.
- If your PC is running Windows 64 bit version, use QWORD.
- Reset your computer and then try to access the shared folder.
Turn on network sharing
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn network discovery on or off. Please see the link to access administrator https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/windows-error-5/.
- Go to control panel, click Network and Sharing.
- Click Change advanced sharing setting.
- Click Turn on network discovery, Turn on file and printer sharing and Allow Windows to manage homegroup connection (recommended).
- You may also want turn on or off some setting in the Guest or Public and All networks.
- Click Save change when done.
Disable antivirus and firewall
For the antivirus, right-click the lower right side and select disable the antivirus.
Turn off Windows Firewall
Solution 4. Fix 0x80004005 in Microsoft Outlook
Disable anti-virus or disable only anti-virus blocking feature.
Solution 5. Fix error code 0x80004005 in Virtual Machine
- Restart you computer.
- Press Del to enter Bios.
- In the Bios interface, go to Advance
- Look for Secure Virtual Machine mode or SVM mode and enable it.
- Press F10 and save,
Solution 6. Activate Windows via Internet or phone
Activate Windows Via Internet
- Click Windows Start and then type in slui 3.
- Then input your activation key.
- If that doesn’t work, it is recommended that you contact Microsoft Support center and explain to them your problem in detail.
Activate Windows Via Phone
- Click Windows Start and then type in slui 4 or right-click Windows start, then click “Run” and type in “Slui 4.
- When a window appears, select your country and click “Next.”
NOTE: Don’t close the window yet.
- Call the toll-free number while in front of your computer.
- A confirmation ID will be given to you by the automated phone system.
- Type in the Confirmation ID into the box and click activate.