0xc0000185 is a Windows error code that indicates a failed boot. This can happen for a variety of reasons, including a corrupt or missing boot file, a corrupt or missing system file, or a hardware failure.
Users typically search for a solution by asking about:
- windows error code 0xc0000185
- error code 0xc0000185
- Boot from a Windows 10 installation media and choose Repair your computer
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart
- Press 4 or F4 to boot into Safe Mode
- Open the Start menu, type Device Manager, and press Enter
- Expand the Display adapters section, right-click your graphics card, and select Uninstall device
- Reboot your computer and Windows will automatically install the drivers for your graphics card
1. Boot from a Windows 10 installation media and choose Repair your computer
- Insert the Windows 10 installation media into your computer.
- Click on the Start button and type “cmd” into the search bar.
- Right-click on the cmd.exe icon and select “Run as Administrator”.
- Type “repair your computer” and click on the OK button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to fix the 0xc0000185 error.
2. Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart
- On your computer, open Start.
- In the Start menu, click All Programs.
- Click Accessories, and then click System Tools.
- In the System Tools window, click Startup Settings.
- In the Startup Settings window, click Restart.
- Click OK.
- Your computer will restart.
3. Press 4 or F4 to boot into Safe Mode
To boot into Safe Mode, press "Windows + R" keys to open the Run dialog box, type "msconfig" and hit Enter. In the System Configuration window, select the Safe Boot option and click the OK button. In the Safe Boot dialog box, select the option to boot into Safe Mode with Networking and click the OK button. Next, restart your computer to enter Safe Mode.
4. Open the Start menu, type Device Manager, and press Enter
To open the Start menu and type Device Manager, press the Windows key and the letter M at the same time. This will open the search box and display the results of your search. Type Device Manager and press Enter. The Device Manager window will open. In the left pane, you will see a list of devices. In the right pane, you will see a list of devices that are currently active. The device that is causing the problem will be highlighted in red. Click on the device name to open the Properties window for that device. In the Properties window, you will see a list of problems that are associated with the device. The problem that is causing the 0xc0000185 error will be listed as a "Device problem." The first step that you need to take in order to fix the problem is to click on the "Update Driver" button. This will download the latest driver for the device from the Windows Update service. Once the driver has been downloaded, you will need to click on the "Install" button. This will install the driver on the device. After the driver has been installed, you will need to click on the "OK" button. This will close the Properties window for the device. Finally, you will need to reboot the device in order to apply the changes that you have made.
5. Expand the Display adapters section, right-click your graphics card, and select Uninstall device
- Right-click the graphics card and select Uninstall device.
- Click Yes to confirm the uninstall.
- Restart the computer.
6. Reboot your computer and Windows will automatically install the drivers for your graphics card
- Open the Start Menu and type "reboot" into the search bar.
- Press Enter to launch the Command Prompt.
- Type "cd C:\Windows" and press Enter.
- Type "reboot" and press Enter.
- Windows will automatically install the drivers for your graphics card.
If the answers above didn't work then you should also try:
- Download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card from the manufacturer's website.
- Perform a clean boot of Windows.
- Run the System File Checker tool.
- Restore your computer to a previous restore point.