Error code 5 indicates that the file could not be copied because it is corrupt. This can happen for a number of reasons, such as if the file was not properly downloaded or if it was damaged during transit. If the file is corrupt, it cannot be used and must be replaced with a new copy.
1. Check the file path and make sure it is correct
The file cannot be copied to the destination folder because it is in use.
- Open the file explorer and navigate to the folder where the file is located.
- Right-click on the file and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, on the General tab, make sure the Copy to destination folder check box is selected and the Copy files and folders to destination folder check box is cleared.
- Click OK.
- Close the Properties window.
- Copy the file to the destination folder.
2. Check the permissions on the file and make sure the user has the correct permissions
The user does not have the correct permissions to copy the file. To check permissions on a file, use the file permissions command in the Windows Command Prompt. To view the permissions for a file, use the file permissions command, followed by the file name. The following example checks the permissions for the file C: file permissions C: The following example checks the permissions for the file C:\abc.txt: file permissions C:\abc.txt The user has read and write permissions.
3. Use a different file transfer method
The operation could not be completed because the file or directory is not accessible.
- Open the File Explorer and navigate to the file or directory that you want to copy.
- Right-click on the file or directory and select Copy.
- Select the destination location for the copy and click Copy.
- If the file or directory is not accessible, you may need to change the permissions on the file or directory.
4. Try copying the file to a different location
The file cannot be copied to this location because it is being used by another application.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the file you wish to copy.
- Right-click on the file and select Copy.
- Go to the destination you wish to copy the file to.
- Right-click on the file and select Paste.
- If the file still cannot be copied, try using a different media type or connection.