The server quit without updating PID file
What is error message ‘The server quit without updating PID file’?
“The server quit without updating PID file” is a MySQL startup error that usually occurs when MySQL is upgraded to a later version. It may also occur due to insufficient permission or ownership in the MySQL data directory.
You may see the error message, “ERROR! MySQL server PID file could not be found!” or “Starting MySQL… ERROR! The server quit without updating PID file (/var/lib/mysql/server.vasco.com.pid)”
How can you fix ‘The server quit without updating PID file’?
Some of the common fixes include:
- Fixing MySQL
Please see our in-depth walk-through solutions below.
Solution 1. Fix MySQL
“The server quit without updating PID file” in MySQL may occur when something is preventing it from running due to upgrading to its latest version. The update might have changed some MySQL data directory. Try to fix it using the following steps below.
- Login with root privileges and try to restart MySQL service manually, using this code “/etc/init.d/mysql restart” without quotes.
- Delete files with “.err” extension in this path /var/lib/mysql/your_computer_name.err.
- Restart MySQL services that are running, apply this code, “kill -9 PID // where PID is the process ID of the MySQL processes” without quotes.
- Check ownership of /var/lib/mysql/ usingt this code, “ls -laF /var/lib/mysql/” without quotes.
Check the owner and change it to MySQL or your_user, “sudo chown -R mysql /var/lib/mysql/” without quotes.
- Move the config file and create a backup, then restart MySQL.
Move the .cnf file “mv /etc/your.cnf /etc/your.cnf.backup” no quotes.
Restart MySQL “/usr/local/share/mysql/mysql.server start” no quotes.
- Delete mysql.sock file and then restart MySQL.
NOTE: Make sure to make a backup of mysql.sock. To back up the mysql.sock file, see below.
“cp /var/lib/mysql.sock /var/lib/mysql.sock_bkp“ without quotes.
“rm -rf /var/lib/mysql.sock“ without quotes.
- Move the log file ib_logfile0.bak and restart MySQL service, using the code below.
mv ib_logfile0 ib_logfile0.bak
mv ib_logfile1 ib_logfile1.bak
mv /var/lib/mysql/ib_logfile* /some/tmp/folder/