The f51 error code on a Whirlpool washer indicates that the washer is not draining properly. This can be caused by a clogged drain, a faulty drain pump, or a problem with the washer's control board. If the washer is not draining properly, it will not be able to spin the clothes dry. The f51 error code is a common error code on Whirlpool washers and can be fixed by following the troubleshooting steps in the owner's manual.
1. Check for any clogged drains and clear them
There are a few steps you can take to check for any clogged drains and clear them in order to fix f51 error code whirlpool washer.
- Check the drains in the sink, bathtub and laundry tub for any debris or water buildup. Use a plunger to clear any obstructions.
- Use a snake to clear any obstructions in the drains near the washer.
- Check the water supply to the washer for any abnormalities. If the water isn't coming from the faucet or the hose, it may be clogged. Clear the obstruction with a plunger or snake.
- If the washer still isn't working, it may need a new water filter.
2. Clean out the washer’s pump filter
- Turn off the washer and unplug the power cord from the outlet.
- Remove the screws that hold the water inlet cover in place.
- Disconnect the water supply line from the washer pump.
- Remove the pump cover.
- Remove the washer pump filter.
- Wash the filter in warm water with a mild detergent.
- Rinse the filter well and dry it off.
- Reattach the pump cover, water supply line, and screws.
- Plug in the washer and turn on the power.
- Check the washer’s pump filter for proper installation.
3. Inspect the washer’s drain hose and make sure it’s not kinked or blocked
- Check the washer’s drain hose for kinked or blocked sections. If there are any blockages, remove them using a pipe wrench.
- Clean the hose using a pipe cleaner and water.
- Check the washer’s drain hose for any signs of corrosion or damage. If the hose is damaged, replace it.
- Connect the washer’s drain hose to a suitable water source and turn on the washer. If the washer runs properly, the drain hose is functioning properly. If the washer does not run, the drain hose may be defective and must be replaced.
4. Replace the washer’s drain hose if it’s damaged
If the drain hose is damaged, the steps to replace it are as follows:
- Remove the front panel of the washer.
- Remove the screws that hold the drain hose in place.
- Remove the damaged drain hose.
- Install the new drain hose.
- Replace the screws that hold the front panel in place.
5. Run a maintenance cycle on the washer to clean out any built-up debris
- Open the front panel of the washer.
- Remove the four screws that hold the cover in place.
- Remove the cover.
- Locate the agitator belt and the motor.
- Turn the motor off and disconnect the agitator belt.
- Remove any debris that has built up on the agitator belt and motor.
- Reattach the agitator belt and motor.
- Turn the motor on and check to see if the f51 error code has been resolved.
Some users might also have success with the following opitons:
- Contact a certified appliance repair technician for further assistance.